iPhone battery health tips to earn you hundreds of pounds more when trading in

With the launch of the iPhone 14 just around the corner you might be considering trading in your old iPhone for the newest model soon and now might be a good time to do it, with the market currently growing.

Chris Hill, Chief Technical Officer at UK-based phone refurbishment firm, UR, said: "The phone refurbishment market is growing at a significant rate due to the rising prices of new devices, and the cost of living crisis, as well as the fact more and more people are realising there really is value in refurbished phones."

However, to get the best price your iPhone has to be in excellent condition and according to technicians at UR, the battery health is a big part of this.

READ MORE : iPhone chargers rumoured to stop working on old models

Chris explained: "The price quoted depends on the model, overall condition and other factors, but good battery health could mean the difference of hundreds of pounds, on a model like the iPhone 12."

UR also given their best tips for optimising your iPhone battery health to help you make more money when it comes to trading it in.

The best way to charge an iPhone to maximise battery health

One of the biggest factors when it comes to optimising your iPhone battery health is the way that you charge your iPhone.

Chris explained how iPhone batteries work and what the optimal health level is as he said: "Apple uses lithium-ion batteries in its iPhones and their capacity diminishes slightly with each complete charge cycle."

“We don’t sell refurbished phones with battery health below 80%. Under this, overall performance in terms of charging, use and performance can become less predictable", he added.

  • iPhone 14 Pro to finally get rid of 'notch' and replace it with something 'even worse'

Technicians at UR advised iPhone users to follow these steps when it comes to charging your iPhone:

  • Charge your phone battery whenever you want, there’s no need to let it discharge 100% of power before recharging it
  • Where possible, do not let the battery go down to 0% — this can result in the battery not charging again
  • When the battery reaches 100%, unplug your phone if you can rather than always leaving it plugged in for long periods
  • If you’re storing your phone for a while, charge it to 50% and switch it off. Check it every three months or so and recharge it to 50% if needed

Make the most of iPhone functions to benefit your battery

  • Apple tells millions of iPhone users to install emergency update now or risk hacking

Besides charging your iPhone in the correct way, UR technicians also advised iPhone users to make the most of some of the functions that Apple offer which can benefit your battery.

They said: "Make use of the Low Power Mode function, which will help your iPhone to last longer before needing to be charged, by reducing or affecting the impact of various features such as display brightness."

  • Twitter to allow users to edit tweets in major change for popular app

They also added that those with iOS 13 or later can make use of the Optimised Battery Charging function, which means your phone will learn your daily charging habits.

This function means that if you leave your phone plugged in overnight then it will use the 'slow charging' method to power the battery to 80%, and will charge it with the other 20% before you tend to unplug your phone.

UR said: "This helps to prevent battery ageing and means your phone will work out the best way to charge and when. Always ‘fast charging’ puts stress on the battery and will reduce its overall lifespan, versus slow charging."

How your iPhone's temperature effects its battery

Finally, UR also warned that the temperature of your iPhone can impact its battery life.

They explained: "Most [iPhones] are designed for temperatures between 0 and 35 degrees centigrade, higher temperatures can have more permanent, negative effects on batteries."

The technicians advised that where possible, you should keep your phone out of high-temperature environments, which can be a major factor in the long-term health of your battery.

Your phone can also sometimes get too hot while it's charging, if this happens then you should try removing "any case or cover which could be stopping the heat from escaping."

While cold temperatures can also reduce the performance of your iPhone, it doesn't usually have any long-term effects when the battery returns to normal temperatures.


  • For all the latest and best stories, check out the Daily Star homepage

  • WhatsApp warning as messaging app will stop working on certain phones in weeks

  • iPhone 14 Pro to finally get rid of 'notch' and replace it with something 'even worse'

  • Apple tells millions of iPhone users to install emergency update now or risk hacking

  • Simple 'lifesaving' iPhone hack that every parent should know in an emergency

Source: Read Full Article